Woman gets 12 to 15 years for shooting, killing paralyzed man | News
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — A Winston-Salem woman was sentenced to 12 to 15 years in prison after pleading guilty to charges that she fatally shot a paralyzed man twice.
The Winston-Salem Journal reported that Madyson Michelle Renegar, 20, of 4017 Fargo Drive, pleaded guilty in Forsyth Superior Court this morning to second-degree murder in the death of Clarence Joseph Hart II on Feb. 2.
Assistant District Attorney Patrick Weede said Renegar and Hart were friends and that Hart also sold Renegar marijuana. Renegar had gone over to Hart’s house on Feb 2 on Talcott Avenue to buy marijuana and the two got into an argument over allegations that Hart had physically abused his son, Weede said in court.
Hart has been in a wheelchair since he was shot in 2000 when two men broke into his house and tried to rob him. Family members said both his legs had been amputated after the shooting and that he weighed about 70 pounds.
Renegar told Winston-Salem police that Hart struck her twice, including once in the face, Weede said. The two were in Hart’s bedroom at the time and Renegar grabbed Hart’s gun, which he kept by his bed, Weede said.
Read more: The Winston-Salem Journal.